Student Billing Services

Federal Loan - Exit Counseling

If you graduate, withdraw or drop below half-time registration status, and you have borrowed a Federal Direct, Health Professions, or Perkins loan, you must complete the Exit Loan Counseling requirement. This is an opportunity to remind yourself of your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. In turn, you must provide your lender with certain information about your plans after you leave school (for example, your current address, your expected employer, two personal references, etc.).

Completing the Exit requirement is only one step in keeping your loans in good standing. Remember that student loan indebtedness is reported to credit agencies. Until your loan is paid in full, you should continue to communicate with your lender regarding any changes in your address, school enrollment status or questions about making repayment.

If you do not know what type of loans you borrowed while in attendance at UC Berkeley, visit the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) web site. You may also call the NSLDS Customer Service Center at (800) 4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users (for the hearing impaired) can call (1-800-730-8913).

Please refer to the information below for each type of loan that you plan to borrow.

Loan Types Contact Information
Federal Perkins

Health Professions (HPSL)

Billing Servicer: Heartland ECSI

Lender: UC Berkeley

Billing & Payment Services

2195 Hearst Ave, Ste 120, (MC1111),
Berkeley, CA 94720-1111

(510) 642-2157


Federal Direct Loan Online exit counseling

Lender & Billing Servicer: US Department of Education

For more information, contact:

Loan Servicing Center at 1-800-433-3243

TDD: 1-800-730-8913