Foreign Currency Bank-to-Bank Transfer
The most efficient means for international students to pay their CARS bills is through Western Union's Bank-to-Bank Transfer. This simple and secure payment option allows you to choose a foreign currency and obtain a locked-in, competitive exchange rate.
Advantages to using Western Union's Bank-to-Bank 24/7 Transfer
- There are NO transaction fees from Western Union or UC Berkeley, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank. However, since the Western Union transaction is in-country, the fee may be less than an inter-country wire transfer.
- The exchange rate is competitive when compared to most banks' retail rates.
- Payments include all of the necessary reference information to help us post your payment upon receipt.
- Payments will be electronically transmitted to CARS ensuring timely posting, typically 2 to 5 business days from when you initiate the payment.
- The Western Union exchange rate is valid for 72 hours after the transaction is initiated, taking the uncertainty out of the total payment amount.
To Make a CARS Payment in Foreign Currency
Step 1: Get Ready
- Determine how much you are going to pay on your CARS account. Your CARS e-Bill can be viewed at http://bearfacts.berkeley.edu.
- Enable pop-ups in your computer's browser. If pop-ups are blocked, you may not be able to see the payment instructions at the end, so be sure to elect to have a copy sent to your e-mail address.
Step 2: Link to Western Union
Step 3: Get Quote
- Fill in the required fields (SID, Student Name, etc.) and click Next.
- Enter the amount to be paid to CARS in US Dollars and click Continue.
- Select payment currency* from drop down list and click Continue.
*If your local currency is not an option available in the form, you will need to choose another currency on the list in order to arrange a Western Union Bank-to-Bank Transfer. An option to transfer in U.S. Dollars is available. See instructions for submitting a traditional wire transfer.
- Enter e-mail address where you would like to receive the payment quote and mark the checkbox.
- Complete additional fields if payer is not the student and click Continue.
- Review Conditions and mark the checkbox.
- Click Submit.
- Print instruction page/quote; see your e-mail for a copy if you requested one.
Step 4: Bank Transfer
- Within 72 hours, take the quote to your local bank to authorize bank-to-bank transfer; be sure to take along a valid proof of identity.
- Your local bank will transfer the funds to Western Union's local bank.
- Western Union will transfer US Dollars to UC Berkeley once the funds settle (allow 2-5 business days).
- Confirm receipt of payment via Bear Facts › CARS › Payment History.
If you have questions about your CARS bill, contact Cal Student Central
Address: 120 Sproul Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (phones closed Noon – 1:00 p.m.)
Email: Open a case