Student Billing Services

Third Party Contract (TPC)

*formerly Sponsored Student Program



Invoicing and Payments

Sponsoring Agency's Failure to Pay

Contact Information

Some students may be sponsored by a third-party (public or private sector sponsor including: military agencies, educational institutions, and international embassy) who commits to paying the student's tuition and registration fees that are mandatory to all UC Berkeley students. Berkeley will invoice outside organizations (sponsors), which require a separate invoice for certain fees the sponsor agrees to pay on the student bill.

The Billing and Payment Services Office (BPS) coordinates Third Party Contracts. BPS prepares and sends bills for qualified tuition and fees, maintains agency and student third party accounts, and handles all correspondence regarding Third Party Contracts.

BPS does not assist students with identifying a sponsor. Students seeking financial assistance should contact Cal Student Central for guidance on researching options for educational funding.


Students may be eligible for TPC if the sponsoring agency:

  • Will sponsor all or most of the tuition and fees
  • Requires an itemized invoice to be addressed in their name
  • Will send payment directly to UC Berkeley

Students are not eligible for TPC if:

  • Payments will be sent directly to the student
  • Only proof of registration or a copy of the student’s bill is required
  • The third party is a UC Berkeley department, a family member or a personal/family-owned business


How to Enroll

To initiate the Third Party Contract (TPC) process:

  • The sponsoring agency provides an authorization letter (must be on company letterhead) to the student and/or to the school
  • The letter must indicate the items that will be paid in support of the students and for which terms and/or academic year(s) the support will apply
  • Based on the level of support outlined in the letter (i.e. dollar limits, semester restrictions, fee types, etc.) Billing and Payment Services processes a conditional credit to pay registration/tuition fees on the student’s account

Authorization Letters

Authorization letters must be on company letterhead and include the following information in order to be processed:

  1. Student’s full first and last name
  2. 8-digit or 10-digit student ID number
  3. Dollar amount of sponsorship
  4. Duration: which academic years or semesters will the sponsor pay?
  5. Restrictions: specific fees that will NOT be covered (ex: health insurance). For more information, see Information about current Registration Fees on the Office of The Registrar website.
  6. Exact title and billing address that invoices should be addressed to
  7. Contact information for authorized sponsor representative (name, phone number, email, and fax) 
  8. Signature of authorized sponsor representative

NOTE: Please be as specific as possible when submitting the authorization letter as they will be interpreted with the literal references written on them.

For example, if the authorization letter states that a student is sponsored for “the entire academic year”, we will administer an award for every semester in said academic year including the summer term.

If there are multiple students receiving sponsorship from one agency, a list may be submitted on one authorization letter provided the terms of agreement are the same for all students. If the terms are different for any or all students, then an authorization letter must be provided for each individual.

Once the authorization letter has been received and processed by Billing and Payment Services a conditional credit will be placed on the student account. A conditional credit on the student account does not signify payment by the sponsor was received.

*Acceptance of the contract agreement is at the discretion of UC Berkeley

Qualifying Fees

Add section outlining fees that may or may not be included.

Contract Submission Deadlines

Third Party Contract (TPC) authorization letters are due prior to or within the current term. Any letter submitted after this time will not be accepted for a start date in the current term. Please see the Academic Calendar for current term dates.

Invoicing and Payments


After the final add/drop deadline, UC Berkeley will invoice the sponsoring agency. For more information, see on the Office of The Registrar website. Invoices will be either mailed or emailed.


Payment by the sponsoring agency is due immediately upon receipt of the invoice.  Sponsoring agencies may mail payments or pay via wire transfers:

A. Pay via check:

  1. Payments by check must be issued in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank.
  2. Make checks payable to UC Regents.
  3. Include the Student ID number on the memo line of the check plus, the invoice number found on the invoice provided to agency.
  4. Mail check to: Payment Services, 140 University Hall, MC #1111, Berkeley, CA 94720-1111

B. Wire transfers are accepted for international payments. Please note that our bank may charge a small fee to receive the funds via wire transfer. Below is the information to provide to your bank: (note: click below image to enlarge)

Note: To ensure timely posting of payments, it is important that key information pertaining to the student is included with the wire, specifically the invoice number, student’s first and last name and/or Student ID number.

Sponsoring Agency’s Failure to Pay in Full/Submission of a Partial Payment

Once the payment is received by UC Berkeley, it will be applied to the sponsoring agency’s account. Should a sponsoring agency fail to remit payment in full charges will revert to the student’s account for the balance not paid.

The university reserves the right to revoke partnerships with sponsoring agencies that are delinquent in paying their invoices.

Student Confidentiality & Responsibility

It is the policy of the university to protect our students’ right to confidentiality per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). By participating in the Third Party Contract Program, you grant authorization to the University to release to your sponsoring agency information pertaining to assessed tuition and registration fees, financial aid and enrollment.

The FERPA release authorization remains in effect until the student deletes their sponsor by ‘opting out’ of TPC invoicing or leaves UC Berkeley.

Students have certain responsibilities when participating in the Third Party Contract Program. Student responsibilities include but are not limited to:

  • Providing Sponsor Agency with required transcripts, class enrollments and grades
  • Providing a valid authorization letter from their sponsor prior to the tuition due date
  • Renewing their period of sponsorship and providing updated authorization when needed
  • Paying any balance not covered by their sponsoring agency
  • Paying any underpayments made by the sponsoring agency
  • Paying related penalties that result from sponsoring agency’s non-payment
  • Clearing financial holds that may withhold grades or prohibit enrollment activity, obtaining diploma or transcripts 
  • Informing the university of any changes in sponsorship coverage or contact information

Our Contact Information

For any inquiries regarding sponsorship, please call TPC Support at 510-643-9055. Students/Sponsors may send authorization letters to our office via:

  • Email:, subject line: Sponsor Billing. (If known, please include the Student ID number).
  • Fax: 510-643-0989, Attention: TPC Support
  • Mailing address: ATTN: TPC Support, 140 University Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-1111

All other non-sponsored related questions may be directed to Cal Student Central at 510-664-9181.