Types of Charges – Why Am I Billed for…?

Registration fees and tuition as a Non-Resident of California

New students must submit a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) in order to be classified as a California resident for tuition purposes.  Until the SLR is submitted and approved, registration fees will be assessed and billed at the Non-Resident rate.  Because the approval process may take several weeks, you may choose to pay your registration fees:

Continuing students who are petitioning for California residency status should submit Residence Classification Petition by the due date. Until your petition is approved, registration fees will be assessed and billed at the Non-Resident rate.

For more information on residency, see the Registrar’s web site.

Health Insurance

All UC Berkeley students must carry a minimum level of health insurance coverage. The campus provides a health insurance plan for those who wish to purchase it. Health insurance fees are assessed each semester. However, if you have comparable coverage, you may waive out of the University’s Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP). The waiver must be renewed each academic year.

If you are submitting a waiver, you may choose not to pay the insurance fee on your bill. However, if there are other charges on the account, your payment may not be applied correctly until the health insurance fee is removed from the account.

Housing Room and Board in August/January

Housing contracts are for one or two semesters. When you accepted the contract terms, you agreed to pay a pre-disclosed amount for a specific housing arrangement (i.e., particular residence hall, number of roommates, meal plan, length of stay, etc.). When you accept the contract, a pre-payment is required. This pre-payment is deducted from the first installment. Payments are due in five monthly installments for each semester. The amount you are billed in August does not reflect the number of days in which you will be in residence.

See Residential and Student Services.

Residence Telephone “Telecom”

The campus provides students who live in the Residence Halls, Manville, and International House with access to a land telephone line. The basic charge for this land line is required in the terms and conditions of the housing contract, whether or not the line is used. The fee is billed for the semester.

See Residence Telephone or your housing contract.