The most efficient means for UC Berkeley international students to pay their student billing account is through Western Union’s Foreign Currency Payment Option. This simple and secure payment option allows you to choose a foreign currency, obtain a locked-in, competitive exchange rate, and, when completed, have the payment credited directly to your student billing account.
Advantages to using Western Union’s Foreign Currency Payment Option include:
- There are NO transaction fees from Western Union or UC Berkeley, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank. However, since the Western Union transaction is in-country, the fee may be less than an inter-country wire transfer.
- You will not be charged additional fees by ‘intermediary’ banks reducing the funds UC Berkeley receives. This ensures UC Berkeley receives the amount you intend to pay; there are no hidden fees.
- The exchange rate is competitive when compared to most bank retail rates.
- Payments include all of the necessary reference information for the payment to post directly to your student billing account.
- Payments will be transmitted electronically to your student billing account, ensuring timely posting, typically 2 to 5 business days after you initiate the payment. The traditional wire transfer from your bank to our bank requires manual posting which causes delays.
- The Western Union exchange rate is valid for 72 hours after the transaction is initiated, taking the uncertainty out of the total payment amount.
How to Make a Student Payment in a Foreign Currency
1) Get Ready
- Determine how much you are going to pay to your Student Billing account
- Your account balance can be viewed from the ‘My Finances’ tab in CalCentral
- Enable pop-ups in your computer’s browser
- If pop-ups are blocked, you may not be able to see the payment instructions at the end, so be sure to elect to have a copy sent to your email address
2) Log In to CalCentral
- Click the ‘My Finances’ tab
- See the ‘Billing Summary’ section on the My Finances page
- Click the ‘Make Payment’ button
- At this point, you will be signed in to the CashNet portal
- From the CashNet Payment portal page, click the 'Pay' link in the Your Account section to initiate the transaction
- From the Select Payment Method page, select the ‘Pay with foreign currency through Western Union IFT wire transfer’ option
- Click the 'Continue Checkout' button
3) Get a quote
- Select the country that you are initiating the payment from in the 'Paying fees from' drop down menu
- If your local currency is not an available option, you will need to select US Dollars (USD) from the drop down menu to complete the transaction
- Important: Once USD is selected, ensure popup blocker is removed in order to complete the process
- The Amount Due field will be automatically populated from CashNet
- Click the 'Get a quote' button
4) Choose a way to pay
- Select a payment option available for a particular currency
5) Confirm student details
- Confirm your student details
- Student/Payer ID
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
- Click the 'Next' button
6) Enter payer’s details
- Choose 'Who will be making this payment?' and/or enter the payer’s details
- Click the 'Proceed to Payment' button
7) Make a payment
- Visit your local bank within 72 hours to complete your payment
- Print the instructions, the receipt, and the Reference Number available in CashNet
- Take this information to your local bank to authorize a bank-to-bank transfer
- Be sure to take along a valid proof of identity
- Your local bank will transfer the funds to Western Union’s local bank
- Western Union will transfer US dollars to UC Berkeley once the funds settle
- Please allow 2-5 business days to complete
- Confirm receipt of payment to your UC Berkeley Student Billing account:
- CalCentral > MyFinances > Transaction Details
8) Track payment
- Once your payment is made, you can track it online or receive text updates through the Western Union website