IRS Form 1098-T Tax Benefits

If you are a US resident for tax purposes, you may be eligible to claim a tax credit or deduction on your federal tax return if you paid qualified educational expenses to the University of California. The American Opportunity Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, and the Tuition and Fees Deduction allow taxpayers to reduce their federal income tax based upon qualified tuition and fees paid, assuming the taxpayer meets eligibility requirements.

The determination as to whether you qualify for these benefits should be made in consultation with your personal tax advisor or the Internal Revenue Service.

The University of California cannot give you tax advice or make a determination as to whether you qualify for these tax benefits.

General Information about the 1098-T Form

The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their US resident students to the IRS as required by law. As an eligible educational institution, UC Berkeley reports certain financial and identifying information regarding US resident students for which UC Berkeley has received payments of "qualified education expenses" for the corresponding tax year. Included in the 1098-T form are qualified charges that were paid and financial assistance received for the corresponding tax year. Loans are excluded and not reported on the 1098-T form.

The 1098-T form is not intended to be used for determining any taxable income you may have received from scholarship or fellowship payments. The university does not report scholarship or fellowship income to you or to the IRS. Please use Worksheet 1-1 in IRS Publication 970 (Tax Benefits for Education) to figure the amount of a scholarship or fellowship grant you can exclude from gross income.

To simplify reporting and to promote the best customer service for students and their families, the University of California contracts with TAB Services to provide the 1098-T form.

For more information, please visit the TAB Services website or call TAB Services Customer Support toll-free at (888) 220 2540.

Email Notification that your 1098-T Form is Available Online

By January 31, you will receive an email notification from UC Berkeley indicating your 1098-T form is available online via the TAB Services website.

Accessing your 1098-T Form Online

Students may access their 1098-T form online via the TAB Services website.

You will need the following information to login:

  • Site ID (11554)
  • Username (Student ID)
  • Password (initial password is last 4 numbers of your SSN)

If you have any difficulty logging in to the TAB Services website, please contact TAB Services toll free directly at (888) 220 2540.

Once you have logged in successfully, select the tax year from the drop down menu box. You may search for your 1098-T form for the current tax year as well as the previous two tax years. After you have retrieved your 1098-T form online, you may print your form to be used with your tax preparation and filing.

Helpful Resources