Convera’s international payments option is a way for UC Berkeley international students to pay their Student Billing account. This secure payment option allows you to choose a foreign currency, obtain a locked-in, competitive exchange rate, and, when completed, have the payment credited directly to your Student Billing account.
- There are no transaction fees from Convera or UC Berkeley, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank. However, since the Convera transaction is in-country, the fee may be less than an inter-country wire transfer.
- You will not be charged additional fees by ‘intermediary’ banks reducing the funds UC Berkeley receives. This ensures UC Berkeley receives the amount you intend to pay; there are no hidden fees.
- The exchange rate is competitive when compared to most bank retail rates.
- Payments include all of the necessary reference information for the payment to post directly to your Student Billing account.
- Payments will be transmitted electronically to your Student Billing account, ensuring timely posting, typically 2 to 5 business days after you initiate the payment. The traditional wire transfer from your bank to our bank requires manual posting which causes delays.
- The Convera exchange rate is valid for 72 hours after the transaction is initiated, taking the uncertainty out of the total payment amount.
1. Get ready
- Determine how much you are going to pay to your Student Billing account
- Your account balance can be viewed from the 'My Finances' tab in CalCentral
- Enable pop-ups in your computer's browser
- If pop-ups are blocked, you may not be able to see the payment instructions at the end, so be sure to elect to have a copy sent to your email address
2. Log In to CalCentral
3. Click the 'My Finances' menu tab
- From the CalCentral home page, click the 'My Finances' menu tab
4. Click the 'Make Payment' button
- Navigate to the 'Billing Summary' section on the 'My Finances' page and click the 'Make Payment' button
- After clicking the 'Make Payment' button, a new window will open and you will be signed in to the Transact portal
5. Click the 'Make a payment' button
- From the Transact 'Overview' page, click the 'Make a payment' button to initiate the transaction
6. Confirm the Amount you wish to pay
- From the 'Pay Amount' page, enter the amount you wish to pay and click the 'Checkout' button
7. Select the 'International Payment' option
- From the 'Payment Method' page, select the 'International Payment’ option and click the 'Continue' button
8. Select the 'Convera' option
- From the next 'Payment Method' page, select the 'Convera' payment option and click the 'Continue' button
- Rates will be shown after transferring to Convera
- International payments are processed by Convera
- To complete your payment, your information will be provided to Convera and you will be directed to the Convera website
9. Get a quote
At this point you will be redirected to the Convera website.
- Select the country that you are initiating the payment from in the 'Paying fees from' drop down menu
- If your local currency is not an available option, you will need to select US Dollars (USD) from the drop down menu to complete the transaction
- Important: Once USD is selected, ensure popup blocker is removed in order to complete the process
- The Amount Due field will be automatically populated from Transact
- Click the 'Get a quote' button
10. Choose a way to pay
- Select a payment option available for a particular currency
11. Confirm your student details
- Confirm your student details:
- Student/Payer ID
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
- Click the 'Next' button
12. Enter the payer’s details
- Choose 'Who will be making this payment?' (either the student or someone else) and/or enter the payer’s details
- Click the 'Proceed to Payment' button
13. Make a payment
- Visit your local bank within 72 hours to complete your payment
- Print the instructions, the receipt, and the Reference Number available in Transact
- Take this information to your local bank to authorize a bank-to-bank transfer
- Be sure to take along a valid proof of identity
- Your local bank will transfer the funds to Convera’s local bank
- Convera will transfer US dollars to UC Berkeley once the funds settle
- Please allow 2-5 business days to complete
- Confirm receipt of payment to your UC Berkeley Student Billing account:
- CalCentral > MyFinances > Transaction Details